Monday, August 27, 2012

Ask Autumn: What is Setting Powder?


Hello, my lovelies! Lately readers have been asking me a lot of beauty related questions, and I decided to answer them on the blog on the new Ask Autumn feature! When you ask a question, I'll answer it on Ask Autumn.

Today's Question: In a lot of tutorials I see, I'm told to put setting powder on my face at the end of the look. What is setting powder? What is it used for? How do I use it?
-- Raina

My Answer: Setting Powder, also known as finishing powder, is used to complete a makeup look. We use setting powder to make our makeup last longer, and reduce oiliness on the face. It absorbs sweat and oils on your face so the makeup doesn't come off, and that in turn takes away shine on your face, making it ideal for oily skin types. Setting powder provides an "airbrushed finish" and gives your skin a natural, matte glow. It softens the features on your face and reduces fine lines' appearances.

Setting powder comes in two forms: loose powder and compact powder. Loose powder comes in a little jar and is the kind of powder that spills. Use a large, fluffy makeup brush to apply this powder. Compact powder comes in a little case, and can't spill. You can use either a brush or a sponge/powderpuff to apply this powder.

I have dry combination skin, so I don't use setting powder to absorb oils on my face. I use it to give my skin an airbrushed finish. My favorite setting powder right now is the BareMinerals Tinted Mineral Veil. This fantastic loose powder (for $20) sets my makeup and softens my features. The slight tint prevents my face from looking ghostly, and a little goes a long way! I've been using it for months, it's money well spent!

Do you use setting powder? What brands do you like? Let me know in the comments or shoot me an email! And if you have questions you'd like to be answered in Ask Autumn, send them in to aislesofbeauty@gmail.com!

Stay beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment